Jaime GÓMEZ RIVAS, Shaojun WANG, Institute for Photonic Integration, Eindhoven University of Technology, P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands firstname.lastname@example.org
The conservation of the étendue of light sources, defined as the product of the source’s area by the solid angle of the emission, by optical components, sets a limit on how well the emission from a large area and bright source can be focused. Focusing on small areas is crucial for a fast optical detection due to the reduction of the response time of photodetectors by the residual capacitance as their size increases. Therefore, significant efforts have been dedicated to overcoming the fundamental limit set by the conservation of the étendue.
The conference focuses on leading edge research on Optical Wireless Communication in its different forms and gathers experts from academia and industry to show their latest technical results and showcase their products and services. The application scope is broad and it ranges from Ultra-short range to Ultra-long range.
Conference topics cover visible light communication, infrared optical and ultraviolet communication. These different forms of OWC can potentially be employed in a diverse range of communication applications ranging from optical interconnects within integrated circuits through outdoor inter-building links to free-space satellite communications.
The following topics are being covered during the conference:
- Ultra-short range: for instance chip-to-chip communications in stacked and closely packed multi-chip packages
- Short range: For instance wireless personal area network (WPAN) applications under standard IEEE 802.15.7 and underwater communications.
- Medium range: indoor IR and visible light communications (VLC) for wireless local area networks (WLANs) and inter-vehicular and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications.
- Long range: inter-building connections, also called free-space optical communications (FSO).
- Ultra-long range: Laser communication in space especially for inter-satellite links and establishment of satellite constellations
This paper, Optical Metasurfaces for Étendue Reduction In Wireless Communication, was presented during the conference which took place during the Photonics Applications Week.